City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, United States 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been a crucial crossroads, located at the crossway of a major northsouth Indian path and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which belongs to a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders showed up.
This became known as the Monocacy Path or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Terrific Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established prior to 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted prior to the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or simply Frederick's better area with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years earlier, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially encompassed the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being contested between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The current town's first home was constructed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's settlers also founded a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration route until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a few blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up 2 years later, both assisting to discovered a congregation which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by bigger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (constructed in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an important market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Important attorneys who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood during the nineteenth century for its religious pluralism, with among its main thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That original colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal praise space has actually become an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's City Hall (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was built in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its present building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the backdrop of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which stays an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a local physician to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise became one of the brand-new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont ended up being essential for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln detained a number of members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise escaped from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for liberty. Throughout the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick also hosted numerous healthcare facilities to nurse the wounded from those fights, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a couple of days later the way to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Roadway west of Middletown, just listed below the summit of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque celebrates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Agency, a Social Providers office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall home for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from among the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace combated an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last significant Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, likewise known as the "Battle that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing took place more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons bombardment occurred along the National Road west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Prospect Hall estate as the Union troops pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle trip to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion home of his dad. He ended up being an important naval commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was critical in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his partner Mary Margaret Schley helped arrange and raise funds for the yearly Excellent Frederick Fair, among the 2 largest agricultural fairs in the State.